Facebook Twitter Linked In Yelp Google Plus Avvo

Experienced Litigators Who Get Results


View Our Practice Areas

Personal Injury Lawyers Serving washington, dc, maryland & virginia : 4630 Montgomery Avenue, Suite 230 Bethesda, MD 20814

Filing an injury claim against the WMATA

While public transportation is one of the safest ways to travel, accidents do happen and they can result in serious injuries. The civil justice system can provide a way for injured passengers to recover compensation for their losses. wmata.jpg Suing a governmental entity such as the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) is not the same as suing the insurance company of another driver in an accident. For example, before you can sue a governmental entity, you must file a notice of injury claim with the right governmental entity. You have a limited time to file this notice, or you will lose your right to sue.

When can I file an injury claim against the WMATA?

You might think that the WMATA would voluntarily compensate passengers who are injured while riding a train or bus. Unfortunately, the WMTA will not pay damage claims unless you can prove that it was negligent in causing your injury. Here are examples of negligence that can lead to injuries:

  • A train derailment
  • A collision with another train or vehicle
  • Failure to accommodate your disability
  • A slip and fall caused by unsafe conditions in a boarding area
  • Injuries caused by a sudden stop or unsafe maneuver on a bus
  • Being struck by a bus in a crosswalk

How do I file a notice of injury claim against the WMATA?

How you file a notice of injury claim depends on where you were injured. The WMATA serves 91 stations in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. The procedures are different for each governmental body.

If you were injured in the District of Columbia, you have six months to file a notice of injury claim with the appropriate Office of Risk Management. If you were injured in Maryland, you have one year to give notice to the Maryland State Treasurer.

A serious injury can affect your life for years to come. To ensure you recover enough compensation to meet your needs now and in the future, it's important to contact an attorney as soon as possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
View More

The Malloy Law Firm concentrates on helping injured people and their families put their lives back together. We can help you get the medical care and compensation you need.

Malloy Law Offices, LLC

Bethesda Office
4630 Montgomery Avenue
Suite 230
Bethesda, MD 20814

Toll Free: 866-271-5772
Phone: 202-618-1867
Fax: 888-607-8691
Bethesda Law Office Map

Clinton Office
9135 Piscataway Road
Suite 215
Clinton, MD 20735

Phone: 301-648-8523
Map & Directions