Bethesda Highway Accident Lawyer
As a motorist, you face certain risks every time you get on the highway. Accidents can happen in spite of your best efforts, through no fault of your own. If you have been seriously injured in a highway accident caused by someone else’s negligence, contact Malloy Law Offices, LLC in Bethesda, MD today. Our Bethesda highway accident attorneys know what it takes to win maximum compensation for our clients.
Why Choose Malloy Law Offices, LLC?
- Our injury attorneys in Bethesda have more than 15 years of experience and know how to handle highway accident cases professionally and successfully.
- We are committed to helping our clients receive the maximum compensation possible. We believe that injured people have the right to claim what they deserve.
- Our dedicated lawyers and staff strive to make a difference in our clients’ lives through excellent, personalized service, strong legal knowledge, and hard work.
Highway Accident Statistics
As stated by the Insurance Information Institute (III):
- 37,133 people died in motor vehicle crashes on U.S. roadways in a recent year.
- A total of 6,452,000 crashes occurred.
- The fatality rate per 100 million vehicle miles traveled was 1.16.
- 550 traffic deaths occurred in the state of Maryland alone.
- Drivers ages 16 to 20 accounted for an involvement rate in fatal crashes of 36.76 per 100,000 licensed drivers, as compared to 22.24 for drivers ages 35 to 44.
- 9,234 drivers involved in fatal crashes were speeding.
How Do Highway Accidents Happen?
Many different factors can contribute to highway accidents, most of which involve various dangerous driving behaviors. III reports that the leading causes, in descending order, of highway crashes in a recent year were:
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medications
- Failure to stay in the proper lane
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Distracted driving
- Careless driving
- Failure to obey traffic signs, signals, or officers
- Operating a vehicle in an erratic, reckless, or negligent manner
- Overcorrecting or oversteering
- Vision obstructed (by rain, snow, glare, lights, buildings, trees, etc.)
- Driving drowsy, fatigued, ill, asleep, or blacked out
- Swerving or avoiding due to slippery surfaces, wind, etc.
- Driving the wrong way on a one-way road
- Making improper turns
Types of Highway Collisions
As reported by III, the following types of fatal collisions with moving motor vehicles occurred in a recent year, accounting for the following percentages of total fatal motor vehicle accidents:
- Angle collisions – (6,122) 17.8%
- Rear-end collisions – (2,350) 6.8%
- Sideswipes – (940) 2.7%
- Head-on collisions – (3,511) 10.2%
Common Injuries in Highway Accidents
Highway accidents can cause a wide range of impact and penetrating injuries, including:
- Head and brain injuries: These injuries occur when the head hits the steering wheel or a side window. Head and brain injuries in a highway crash may include traumatic brain injury, skull fractures, and facial lacerations.
- Neck and back injuries: Whiplash is a common injury in motor vehicle accidents. Other common neck and back injuries include herniated disc and spinal cord injury.
- Abdominal and chest injuries: Impact with a seatbelt or steering wheel are common causes of chest and abdominal injuries in a car crash. Among the most serious are broken ribs and internal organ damage.
- Knee and leg injuries: Because of the limited space the legs have behind the wheel of a vehicle, leg and knee injuries can result when they hit the dashboard in a collision. Fractured or sprained legs, knees, and ankles are common in highway accidents.
Contact A Bethesda Highway Accident Attorney Today
If you have suffered serious injuries in an accident that was someone else’s fault, the Bethesda highway accident lawyers at Malloy Law Offices, LLC is here to help. Call us as soon as possible if you have been hurt in a highway accident.