Bethesda Bus Accident Attorney
Buses are one of the most used forms of public transportation, especially for those living in the DMV. While they are great at taking you in a timely matter to your destination, as well as economical, they are not always the safest form of transportation. If you suffered an injury in a bus contact Malloy Law Offices, LLC today to speak to a Bethesda bus accident lawyer. We are dedicated to pursuing the maximum compensation for our injured clients.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
What is considered to be a bus accident? Any injury that is sustained while riding a bus, is considered to be a bus accident. The vehicle itself does not have to crash with another vehicle in order for it to be considered an accident, as there are many ways to sustain an injury riding this vehicle. Since a person has to first pay and then proceeds to look for available seats, the bus often proceeds its route prior to a rider being able to sit down, which often times causes that rider to fall down and sustain an injury. Bus accidents can result from driver negligence, company negligence, equipment failure, or the negligence of other drivers. Common causes of bus wrecks include:
- Bus driver distraction
- Fatigued driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Unqualified or untrained drivers
- Construction and hazardous road conditions
- Equipment defects
- Vehicle handling problems
- Weight distribution problems affecting the stability
- Lack of passenger protection
- Heavily populated urban areas with little room for maneuvering
- Poor bus maintenance
- Unsafe, top-heavy bus design
Common Injuries in Bus Accidents
As mentioned previously, there are many accidents that can occur on a bus, which means there are many injuries that can be sustained as a consequence of that accident. The most typical type of injuries are fractured or dislocated bones, strains, and sprains mainly in the legs. However, recently there has been a tremendous rise in neck and back injuries as well as head trauma. Some wounds need to be treated immediately, while others can be cured with physical therapy.
Bethesda Bus Accident Statistics
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reports:
- In a recent 10-year period, intercity buses accounted for 13% of buses involved in fatal crashes.
- School buses accounted for 40%, and transit buses accounted for 35%.
- 73 school buses and 13 intercity buses were involved in fatal crashes in a recent year.
- There were 15,000 injury crashes involving buses in a recent year.
- 25,000 people were injured in those accidents.
- The bus accident injury rate was 142.5 people injured per 100 million vehicle miles traveled.
What to Do if You Were Injured in a Bus Accident?
The first thing to do immediately after a bus accident is to seek medical help. In the case that the injury was catastrophic, then an ambulance or trip to the emergency room may be one-hundred percent necessary. If the wound was small and there is no immediate need for medical assistance, we always recommend taking any photos or videos, and any contact information for possible witnesses. Filing a police report or incident report is always recommended as well. However, this does not mean that you do not have to go seek medical treatment, in fact, this should be your first priority.
Get In Touch with Our Bethesda Bus Accident Lawyer
Bus accident injury claims can be complicated. If you have been injured in a bus accident, it is in your best interest to speak with an experienced bus accident attorney as soon as possible. Our team of Bethesda Bus Accident attorneys has over 15 years of experience handling such cases. We promise to handle your case with the utmost care that it needs and to always stay communicated with you every step of the way. We firmly believe that injured people have the right to claim the compensation they deserve. Our Bethesda personal injury attorneys are committed to aggressively pursuing full and fair compensation for your injuries. Contact Malloy Law Offices, LLC for sound legal guidance and dedicated representation in your bus accident case.