Bethesda Distracted Driving Attorney
Cell phones have become the latest epidemic on the roads. Now more than ever, people are using phones to text and as GPS devices–often while the car is in motion. It is so easy for someone to take their eyes off the road for what seems like only a second. The reality is, during those seconds, they are traveling nearly the length of a football field. This can lead to disastrous results for you or a loved one, especially if the distracted driver was traveling at high speeds. If you have been involved in an accident with a distracted driver, contact a highly skilled distracted driving attorney today. They will fight tirelessly for you so that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Types of Distracted Driving
The most common types of distracted driving include visual, manual, and cognitive distractions.
- Visual: a distraction that diverts your eyes from the road
- Manual: something that causes you to take your hands off the wheel
- Cognitive: anything that takes your mental focus off the road
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has determined that texting while driving is the most dangerous type of distracted driving. This is mostly because texting combines all 3 types of driving distractions at once: visual, manual and cognitive.
Distracted Driving Accident Statistics
- Using a cell phone while driving caused an estimated 1.5 million car accidents in the U.S. in 2018 according to the National Safety Council.
- The U.S. Department of Transportation reported that cell phone use while driving kills 3-000 to 6,000 people every year.
- Texting while driving is a contributing cause in 25% of all car accidents – resulting in almost 400,000 physical injuries.
- Texting while driving causes 5 times as many accidents than drunk driving.
If someone wishes to use a cellphone while driving, they must adhere to the following laws. In Maryland, all cellphones must be connected to a hands-free device while the auto vehicle is being operated. Texting is also prohibited unless it is for an emergency situation and 9-1-1 is being contacted, or GPS is being updated. Breaking these laws can put someone at risk for a misdemeanor, which is a criminal offense, as well as having a fine up to $500.
Benefits of Hiring a Distracted Driving Lawyer in Bethesda
If you or a loved one was hurt by a distracted driver, get the legal counsel you need from a distracted driving attorney that you trust. Malloy Law Offices, LLC can provide guidance regarding:
- How much compensation you may be entitled to
- Insurance settlements you may have been offered (and that you shouldn’t accept without getting legal advice first)
- How to properly document your injuries
- How to get your medical bills paid
- What can be done if a defendant won’t admit that he or she was using a mobile device at the time of the accident
- How our Bethesda personal injury attorneys use discovery tools to gather evidence against negligent drivers
- Subpoenaing phone records and other records to prove your case and maximize your financial recovery
- How our extensive litigation background can be used to your advantage
- A wrongful death claim
Contact Malloy Law Offices, LLC, for help with your case. We offer a free initial consultation regarding injuries caused by distracted drivers and other personal injury matters.